- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp of your favourite seasoning eg. All- purpose seasoning
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp paprika extra to sprinkle on
- 3 tbsp Grainfields Hemp Seed Sprinkle
- 3 tblsp Grainfields Wholegrain Powder
- 1 medium lemon, zested
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger chopped or minced
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots
- ¼ cup chopped capsicum
- 1 small red onion chopped
- Fresh chilli to your liking (optional)
- Grainfields Liquid 350 to 400 mls (we used Lemon & Ginger or use your favourite) for soaking nuts
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (2 medium lemons yield ~1/4 cup or 60 ml)
- 1/2-2/3 cup water or you could use more Grainfields liquid
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (if unable to source you can use parmesan cheese)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Chopped dill and extra paprika to garnish (optional)
Place cashews in a bowl and cover with your favourite Grainfields Liquid (we used Lemon & Ginger). Cover the nuts to over 3cm above the nuts. Cover with plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator to soak for 12 hours. If you are not going to make straight away, drain and they will keep refrigerated for 1 to 2 days.
Drain the cashews and place in food processor with all ingredients, adding in the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and oil last.
Process until very creamy and smooth, scraping down sides and adding additional water as needed. Then taste and adjust seasonings as needed
Place a fine mesh strainer (or colander) over a large mixing bowl, and lay down two layers of cheesecloth (or a clean, fine, absorbent towel).
Use a spatula to scoop all cheese over the cheesecloth, then gather the corners and twist the top gently to form the cheese into a “disc.” Secure with a rubber band.
Place in refrigerator to set for at least 6 hours, preferably 12, or until excess moisture is absorbed, and it holds its form when released from the cheesecloth. The longer it sits in the fridge the more it will firm up.
To serve, unwrap from cheesecloth and gently invert onto a serving platter. Reform with hands or cheesecloth if needed, then coat with paprika and dill.
Enjoy chilled with crackers or vegetables. The cashew cheese will hold its form for 1-2 hours out of the refrigerator, but is best when chilled. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.